buckle polisher

perpend

Banned
American English
<buckle polisher>

Keith Urban said this on American Idol tonight, and I have no clue what it means.

It was clear from the context that he meant something very positive, but I don't understand the nuance of the phrase.

Is it Australian English?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • perpend

Banned
    American English
    A singer sang particularly well, and he complimented her by saying "now that was a buckle polisher".

Copyright

American English
    From the Urban Dictionary: buckle polisher: (Country Slang) n. A good song to slow dance to.
    She got mad when an old buckle polisher came on the radio and he didn't want to dance.

It's the only definition they offer and the votes are evenly split as to it accuracy: 4/4.

Was it a slow song? Did it get you off the couch? :)

perpend

Banned
    American English
    Yes, I got off of the couch and danced by myself, slowly. :)

I'm sold, Copyright. It was a slow song by a country-type contestant, and Keith Urban, god only knows why, is a huge country artist in the USA.

Bingo: buckle polisher

He certainly meant that (the definition you found in Urban Dictionary). Thanks.

Copyright

American English
    I've never heard the term before, but I would guess that it's a "buckle polisher" because with slow dancing you're in contact with your partner, so her clothes would polish your big ol' cowboy buckle as you both maneuvered around the dance floor. We can only hope she's wearing black. :rolleyes:

< Previous | Next >