Buckle up buttercup you just flipped my bitch switch

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    So it's printed on a T-shirt. :rolleyes: Hmm....Urban Dictionary should come in handy here.

"bitch switch" - the thing you say to your partner that makes them go off when everything was fine right before you said your idiot remark.
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bitch+switch

"Buckle up" may mean "fasten your seat-belt because you are in for a bumpy ride".

The whole slogan may mean "You just said something to annoy me, and now you're going to pay for it." But please wait for an answer from someone who may know what they are talking about.:p

cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    "bitch switch" - the thing you say to your partner that makes them go off when everything was fine right before you said your idiot remark.
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bitch+switch

"Buckle up" may mean "fasten your seat-belt because you are in for a bumpy ride".

The whole slogan may mean "You just said something to annoy me, and now you're going to pay for it." But please wait for an answer from someone who may know what they are talking about.:p
    :thumbsup:

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    So, to summarise:

"Buckle up -> prepare for an unpleasant experience
    buttercup -> condescending term used to address someone you have taken a dislike to.
    you just flipped -> you have just turned on
    my bitch switch." -> the metaphorical switch that activates my aggressive attitude.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    That sounds about right. Be aware, LoverOfEnglish, that this is vulgar slang, suitable only for a T-shirt worn in the presence of teenage contemporaries.

london calling

UK English
    An aside: "Buckle up buttercup" is taken from the lyrics of the Fresh Air song 'Fast car' (meaning: Put your seatbelt on, you're in for a bumpy ride, i.e. something unpleasant is going to happen to you). And that's surely a reference to the famous Motown song 'Pucker up Buttercup', where Buttercup is just a name.

It's a name with a frilly feminine sound. Hence applied by (AE) males to other males they
    wish to disparage or worse.

An aside: "Buckle up buttercup" is taken from the lyrics of the Fresh Air song 'Fast car' (meaning: Put your seatbelt on, you're in for a bumpy ride, i.e. something unpleasant is going to happen to you). And that's surely a reference to the famous Motown song 'Pucker up Buttercup', where Buttercup is just a name.

< Previous | Next >