Buddha consists in the way man lives in truth

• Flaminius

coclea mod
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    Two grammatical points render a solemn air for the sentence.
    ~とは (-towa): This postposition indicates that a definition follows of the noun it modifies.
    姿 (sugata): This abstract noun means "one being looked at." Appearance is a handy single word but does not suffice as a translation since it connotes superficiality. "The way one does" may be a better translation.

In toto, I would translate the sentence as:
    Buddha consists in the way man lives in truth.

For a translation more faithful to the functional relationships between the elements, it seems to me inevitable that English resorts to colloquial style.
    You know what Buddha is? If you see someone and they are living in truth, you see Buddha right there.

Flaminius,
    who has some difficulty telling Buddha from bubba.

Ted D'atlanta

English
    人の姿である 真実に生きる 仏とは. Is this correct? i couldn't tell if it was て or で and I'm having trouble interpreting the 5th down in the middle, I put き.

Flaminius

coclea mod
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    Ted, you got everything right except the order.
    仏とは真実に生きる人の姿である。

When written vertically, Japanese reads from right to left.

Ted D'atlanta

English
    Thank you very much Flaminius. What if The slope went from Upper Left to Lower Right (the opposite), would it still be read from right to left? nevertheless, thank you very much. (I guess that's why the spines on japanese books are on the right side and not the left)

luckyguy

Japanese
    I think "Buddha" metaphorically means the one who is spiritually awakened.

Through this thread I realized that we can be spiritually awakened(悟る[satoru]) from our dairy life, not by special training, and the most important thing is to have a sense to be so.

< Previous | Next >