khkim313

Korean - Korea
When I'm sitting on a bench with a stranger next to me,
and I want to ask if he or she could budge over to make a space
for my friend to sit, is it polite to ask "Do you mind budging over please?"

• Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    I've only ever heard "budge" used negatively - he refused to budge, he wouldn't budge.

I just looked it up and apparently it can be used in a "positive" way as well. I don't know if there are places where it's commonly used that way.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I don't think I've heard it since I moved to the US but it's quite common in BE, although rather too informal for use with a complete stranger. The members from BE land will awaken and join us shortly to see if this is still the case:D

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I would probably use "to scoot over" in AmE, but Julian makes a good point that neither "budge over" nor "scoot over" are very polite and/or formal.

Maybe better (in AmE): Would you mind moving over a little to make room for my friend?

Last edited:

ewie

English English
    Maybe better (in AmE): Would you mind moving over a little to make room for my friend?
    That's exactly what I would say:)

Budge is too informal, and somewhat brusque, to use with a stranger ~ unless you have a particularly winning smile and charming manner:thumbsup:

cando

English - British
    In informal (family or friends) settings, it is very common and would be the normal thing I would say in the form: "budge up a bit" and is not at all negative. Rather than being rude or brusque, it's casualness assumes a degree of intimacy and familiarity between those concerned. It's the sort of thing you might say on the sofa/ settee at home. "Budge over" is slightly stronger as a command to my ears, conveying a mild degree of irritation.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I'd never heard of "budge over" as a request until I saw this thread; I agree with Barque as to use of the word "budge" (post #2). So I wouldn't use it. Nor would I use "scoot"; to me, that means to run fast. I'd use "would you mind moving over", as Perpend suggests in post #4.

heypresto

English - England
    In informal (family or friends) settings, it is very common and would be the normal thing I would say in the form: "budge up a bit" and is not at all negative. Rather than being rude or brusque, it's casualness assumes a degree of intimacy and familiarity between those concerned. It's the sort of thing you might say on the sofa/ settee at home. "Budge over" is slightly stronger as a command to my ears, conveying a mild degree of irritation.
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Roxxxannne

American English (New England and NYC)
    In the midwest of the US 'budge the line' means to push in ahead of other people who are standing in (or on) a line.

kentix

English - U.S.
    "Scooch over" also exists in AE as a very casual alternative to scoot. In some contexts and some types of seating it's possible to say "can you slide over?". But for a stranger, I would say the same as above: Would you mind moving over?

Factoid:
    In Liberian English, the equivalent of "scoot over a little" is "dress small".
    dress = move over
    small = a little

< Previous | Next >