bugger off

scagnetta

Uruguay Spanish
Hola, podría alguien decirme qué puede significar bugger off?
La frase completa pone: "Just bugger off and go to hell"
Desde ya, muchas gracias.

• Moritzchen

Spanish, USA
    So I checked the different web pages provided here. Does bugger off then really means "go get fucked"? You know I always thought it was something mild like "get lost".

se16teddy

English - England
    I think that 'bugger' is not quite as taboo as 'fuck'. 'Buggery' was a term of criminal law referring to anal intercourse (homosexual, heterosexual or bestial), but unlike 'fuck' its origin was clearly euphemistic rather than explicit.

cirrus

UK English
    I am there with se16teddy. Bugger is used daily both here and in Oz and NZ. Its meaning has drifted from buggery and it is almost like saying damn: You drop your pen when you are taking a phone message and say "oh bugger".

Tatzingo

English, UK
    se16teddy said:
    I think that 'bugger' is not quite as taboo as 'fuck'. 'Buggery' was a term of criminal law referring to anal intercourse (homosexual, heterosexual or bestial), but unlike 'fuck' its origin was clearly euphemistic rather than explicit.
    I agree, although I don't believe that either "F*** off" or "Bugger off" should be taken literally. They are merely used as crude but effective ways of telling someone to "go away."

Tatz.

scagnetta

Uruguay Spanish
    Thanks to you all. I'm trying to translate some dialogues, so I will probably come back with another question. At last, I decided that "vete a la mierda" is the most exact meaning into the general context.
    Once again, thanks!

Bucanero

Spain
    Would it be right then to use the expression in this sentence? I plan to bugger off to the Amazon. I mean, without any kind of despective meaning, just saying I plan to dissappear into the jungle...

marvanalsca

Spanish, Venezuela
    Hola Bucanero, creo que en este caso sería mejor decir "Estoy planeando perderme (X time) en el Amazonas"...

< Previous | Next >