bugs - medication side effect

< Previous | Next >

eleonb

Español, Chile
Hi,
I'm translating the American documentary film "Bombay Beach" into Spanish.

Benjamin is a 7 years old kid who has some mental health issues, so he's been taking different medicines.
Now, his parents are taking him to the school for the first time:
The mother tells the father:
I gotta talk to ‘em because there’s like the side effects from the Resparatol. One of the major ones is the drooling. There’s also the little bugs. He thinks there’s bugs on him. These never go away. That is our point. I was like, oh my gosh. I hadn’t really done any research on Resparatol.

Since "bug" has some many meanings: does it figuratively mean "little insects" here?
It would make sense to me, because in Chile we call "hormigas/hormiguitas" (little ants) that feeling when your leg or arm wakes up after having fallen asleep (sorry if those are not real English expressions, I'm translating them literally).
I'm also aware about the "butterflies in the stomach" expression, which is another equivalent case.

So, does Benjamin feel like "little insects" tickling him from the inside? Poor him, by the way.
Thanks!
E.

Last edited:
  • PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Hi,
    The mother tells the father: I gotta talk to ‘em because there’s like the side effects from the Resparatol. One of the major ones is the drooling. There’s also the little bugs. He thinks there’s bugs on him. These never go away. That is our point. I was like, oh my gosh. I hadn’t really done any research on Resparatol.Since "bug" has some many meanings: does it figuratively mean "little insects" here?
    Yes. Benjamin is experiencing a tickling on his skin that feels like small insects crawling over him.
    It would make sense to me, because in Chile we call "hormigas/hormiguitas" (little ants) that feeling when your leg or arm wakes up after having fallen asleep (sorry if those are not real English expression, I'm translating them literally).
    I know exactly what you mean - in English (BE), we call this "pins and needles"
    So, does Benjamin feel like "little insects" tickling him from the inside? Poor him, by the way.
    Thanks!
    E.
    As "He thinks there’s bugs on him" the "insects" are on his skin, not inside him.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    With a definition of "...a form of psychosis whose victims acquire a strong delusional belief." That seems a little strong. It isn't a delusion, the sensation is actually there; it is a side effect. I don't think Benjamin's troubles can be brought into the realm of psychosis unless the story develops. At the moment, the cause seems to be down to Resveratrol: Resveratrol Side Effects: Insensibility or tingling in the hands and legs.

< Previous | Next >