build a blockage /below/in front/at/right in/ my door

< Previous | Next >

wannaspeakenglish

tagalog
How to say this naturally in English?

"The caretaker said he will build a blockage /below/in front/at/right in/ my door?"

What prepositions to use, please?

The blockage will be built exactly where the bottom of the outside door touches the blockage.

Thanks in advance.

• lingobingo

English - England
    Barrier makes sense (though what you mean presumably has a specific name?). But blockage doesn’t. A blockage in a pipe, for example, is a situation where something has got in the way and is preventing the liquid from flowing freely.

reno33

English - USA
    Another "odd" word, at least for full understanding of your sentence, is "caretaker". What do you mean here by "caretaker". A caretaker is too general a word....he could have all kinds of authority and duties. Is he the "owner" of the property? Is he like a gardener or a groundskeeper? What exactly do you mean?

Another change you might consider is the tense of your verb. "he will build" sounds like he's going to do this no matter what...whether you like it or now. You probably mean to say: "he would build".

As you can see, your "preposition" is just one of the issues here.

wannaspeakenglish

tagalog
    Another "odd" word, at least for full understanding of your sentence, is "caretaker". What do you mean here by "caretaker". A caretaker is too general a word....he could have all kinds of authority and duties. Is he the "owner" of the property? Is he like a gardener or a groundskeeper? What exactly do you mean?

Another change you might consider is the tense of your verb. "he will build" sounds like he's going to do this no matter what...whether you like it or now. You probably mean to say: "he would build".

As you can see, your "preposition" is just one of the issues here.
    Thank you. The caretaker is all-around here. And the way we talked, he committed into doing it by tomorrow, that's why I think I use "will" here. I hope the sentence is okay now.

Thanks a lot.

< Previous | Next >