build Koalas into ...

< Previous | Next >

FLOWER

Banned
Mexico, DF - spanish
Can you please explain to me what is means by ' build koals into expanding communities?

Wildlife officers are encouraging land owners to safeguard koala colonies on their property , while city planners seek to ' build' koalas into rapidly expanding communities

• liliput

U.K. English
    I think it means they will take the koalas into account when building new housing estates etc. - presumably by leaving areas in which they can live.

shawnee

English - Australian
    "while city planners seek to ' build' koalas into rapidly expanding communities"
    As it stands this makes no sense to me at all. Are you sure there is nothing in the rest of the text that might explain 'build koalas'?

liliput

U.K. English
    It makes perfect sense to me. The phrasal verb "build into" means to incorporate permanently. The koalas will be "built into" new construction projects - i.e the koalas and their environment will form a permanent part of new areas of the city. It can be supposed that they will have protected zones within the city limits in which they can live.

shawnee

English - Australian
    Yeah, I'm getting it slowly, liliput, but I'm not liking it much at all. Was build really the best word choice here?

liliput

U.K. English
    Yeah, I'm getting it slowly, liliput, but I'm not liking it much at all. Was build really the best word choice here?
    "Build" on its own was not really the chosen word, rather the phrasal verb "build into" which doesn't have the same meaning. I think it was an excellent choice of words and was chosen deliberately to allow the double meaning of construction (building) of new city areas and incorporation (buiding into) of koalas. They even put "build" in inverted commas to highlight the pun.

< Previous | Next >