build

< Previous | Next >
  • Matching Mole

England, English
    It seems possible that "build" might mean construct, if it is process of manufacturing. A car or and engine, say, is built (constructed) by a process. Build can also mean to gather or accumulate, e.g. instructions in a process "build up" as the process continues.

joh2001smile

Chinese
    Thank you Matching Mole, but I am still confused, if the word build means construct here, how can a process construct according to its own constraints, does it mean the process is designed to get rid of the shortcomings?
    May I replace word 'builds' with "is designed/developed/constructed" if it means construct? To me, the passive voice seems more natural and I can't see anything wrong with the use of passive voice here.

Last edited:

Matching Mole

England, English
    I would interpret "according to" as "within". Any process is constrained (no process can do everything). I don't see this as meaning shortcomings, which suggests inadequacy for a task. The processes are presumably adequate, but limited in what they can do.

You cannot substitute "is constructed" for "builds". If you do then process becomes the object of the verb, and the text clearly says that the "process builds", the process is the subject which builds something, or is the subject of a intransitive verb (it grows, or accumulates):
    The robot builds an engine. (constructs something)
    The pressure builds within the chamber (intransitive: the pressure accumulates).

But to say the robot is constructed is not at all the same as saying the robot builds.

< Previous | Next >