Builder - construction worker

< Previous | Next >

emanko

Arabic- Egyptian
Hello

What do we call the person whose job is to carry sand, bricks and mortar and use them to make a structure like a wall as part of a big building?

Is it a builder or a construction worker?

I'm not asking about the contractor; I'm asking about the worker who does manual labor.

Thank you

• Uncle Jack

British English
    It certainly isn't a mason in British English. A mason is a person who chisels stone. He might build walls too (from stone, not brick), but if chiselling stone isn't part of his job then he isn't a mason.

'Builder' would be more common in British English, but there's very little difference between 'builder' and 'construction worker'. You wouldn't get a construction worker to build an extension to your house, and you wouldn't usually call the person bolting together steel girders 50 metres above the ground a builder, but in general you can use either.

sdgraham

USA English
    in AE:

A "builder" would be the owner of, or the name of, a home construction company.

A person who just schlepps the materials is historically called a hod carrier. (But the job has been largely eliminated in the U.S. by machinery.)

WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2017
    hod car′rier,
    • a mason's assistant whose work is to carry hods of materials to the mason. Also called hodman.
    As above, the person building the wall is called a mason

WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2017
    ma•son (māsən), n.
    1. Building a person whose trade is building with units of various natural or artificial mineral products, as stones, bricks, cinder blocks, or tiles, usually with the use of mortar or cement as a bonding agent.
    These trades and many others are all covered under the general term, "construction worker."

emanko

Arabic- Egyptian
    Thank you very much.
    So, I understand that the generic term is 'construction worker' and under it go "mason", "bricklayer", and "builder"?

< Previous | Next >