Building services (vertically & horizontal)

< Previous | Next >

isabel...

Spanish
Hi. I am translating a text related to a terminal construction. I want to check if this is badly written or not.

Building services within the building will be distributed vertically via dedicated risers, whilst horizontal building services will be predominantly via coordinated distribution routes at a high level within the ceiling voids.

I think it should go like this, but I am not completely sure if the meaning changes.

Vertical building services within the building will be via dedicated risers, whilst horizontal building services will be predominantly via coordinated distribution routes at a high level within the ceiling voids.

Thanks for any help.

• Szkot

UK English
    I would change the second part of the sentence to use an adverb and avoid talking about vertical and horizontal building services.

My version: Within the building services will be distributed vertically via dedicated risers and horizontally predominantly via coordinated distribution routes at a high level within the ceiling voids.

Myridon

English - US
    I think your rewrite is better. "Vertically" in the original is rather confusing - it is not at all clear that it is meant to indicate a sub-set of "building services".
    The problem with the rewrite is that the same service could be distributed both vertically and horizontally. The power lines go up to the fourth floor and then spread out to the individual offices. This problem exists in the original sentence with "horizontal services" but the rewrite compounds the problem.

< Previous | Next >