buildup

stargazer

Slovenia, Slovenian
Hello everyone

I was wondering what this word means. I came across it in Cecily von Ziegesar's "All I Want Is Everything" where a girl asks her teacher: "(...) is it true you should alternate between different shampoos when you wash your hair to avoid buildup?"
I'm guessing it means too much hair volume but I'm not quite sure. Any ideas?
Thanks ;)

• JamesM

"Buildup" in this case is an accumulating deposit of product residue in the hair. Conventional wisdom suggests that you can avoid a buildup of residue from one product by alternating products in cycles. That sounds uglier than it actually is, but I think it gets the point across.

stargazer

Slovenia, Slovenian
    "Buildup" in this case is an accumulating deposit of product residue in the hair. Conventional wisdom suggests that you can avoid a buildup of residue from one product by alternating products in cycles. That sounds uglier than it actually is, but I think it gets the point across.
    Hm, I've never heard of that. I always thought that a good thorough shampooing and rinsing would do. Thanks ;)
    You mean "residue" as in what's left in your hair after using a hairspray or hair gel?

ash93

England, United Kingdom - English but can speak Urdu, Memon and Hindi
    Hello everyone

I was wondering what this word means. I came across it in Cecily von Ziegesar's "All I Want Is Everything" where a girl asks her teacher: "(...) is it true you should alternate between different shampoos when you wash your hair to avoid buildup?"
    I'm guessing it means too much hair volume but I'm not quite sure. Any ideas?
    Thanks ;)
    I think it means build up of dirt and the accumilation of filth or oil. Also to me 'residue' would mean the left-behind of either gel and hairsparay or something the shampoo failed to clean out and is the residue of the filth. (post #3)

JamesM

That's also buildup, but there is buildup that occurs from using the same shampoo consistently... or so the theory goes. Google "shampoo buildup" and you'll see what I'm talking about.

ash93

England, United Kingdom - English but can speak Urdu, Memon and Hindi
    Hm, I've never heard of that. I always thought that a good thorough shampooing and rinsing would do.
    I think the reason alternating products would clean your hair more is that when you use one product, your hair gets used to it and sort of builds up protection or something like that towards the product.

Therefore alternating would have different strengths to clean your hair although my mum says alternating breaks and damages hair :D. (I also thought a good shampoo would do the trick so thanks for that!)

stargazer

Slovenia, Slovenian
    I think the reason alternating products would clean your hair more is that when you use one product, your hair gets used to it and sort of builds up protection or something like that towards the product.

Therefore alternating would have different strengths to clean your hair although my mum says alternating breaks and damages hair :D. (I also thought a good shampoo would do the trick so thanks for that!)
    Thank you for your answer. And I also think that you should stick to one brand/type of shampoo once you figure out which one suits your hair best. Though I can't prove that doing otherwise will damage them.

< Previous | Next >