Built-in commentary

< Previous | Next >

Half_Prince

Spanish
Hi,

Does 'built-in commentary' here mean adding translator's notes or explanations within the body of the text?

'If the translator understands that meaning in a referential sense is secondary to the dictates of a carefully constructed lexical web, then he or she may feel empowered to construct a new narrative web around the English radical ‘mother’ or to translate the text as it is but with a built-in commentary.'

I'd very much appreciate your help ^^

• Half_Prince

Spanish
    Oops, sorry, I think I didn't word my question correctly. What I meant to ask was whether 'built-in commentary' referred to an in-text explanation or to a footnote (or whether it was possible to tell at all).

The Newt

English - US
    Oops, sorry, I think I didn't word my question correctly. What I meant to ask was whether 'built-in commentary' referred to an in-text explanation or to a footnote (or whether it was possible to tell at all).
    It's left pretty vague, I'm afraid. Maybe the surrounding context makes it clearer.

Half_Prince

Spanish
    Thanks a lot :) . I guess the author meant it to remain vague then since there's nothing in the immediate or wider context relating to that.

< Previous | Next >