Bulgarian: Водиж

lluvioso1

Turkish
Здравейте,

Recently, I started watching Bulgarian cartoons with subtitles. In one of these cartoons, I came across this sentence:

'Къде ме водиж, Господин бръмбар?'

The owner of this sentence asks the question to someone, addressing him/her politely. However, as far as I know, present tense conjugation of 'водя' for 'Вие' is 'водите'. Is this a transcription mistake or 'водиж' is an alternative version of 'водите'?

Thank you.

• jasio

Здравейте,

Recently, I started watching Bulgarian cartoons with subtitles. In one of these cartoons, I came across this sentence:

'Къде ме водиж, Господин бръмбар?'

The owner of this sentence asks the question to someone, addressing him/her politely. However, as far as I know, present tense conjugation of 'водя' for 'Вие' is 'водите'. Is this a transcription mistake or 'водиж' is an alternative version of 'водите'?

Thank you.
    Is водиж a 2nd person singular?

If this is the case and Bulgarian functions with this respect similarly to other Slavic languages, it's not a matter of politeness but of expressing respect. What is exact relationship between the characters? For example in polish using 2nd p. sg with Mr. Soandso would express lesser degree of respect than 3rd person (2nd p. Pl in other Slavic languages) while a higher degree of respect and formality than using 2nd p. Sg with the persons first name.

So it's not a particular grammatical form which makes your speach polite or impolite, but matching this form to a social context. Depending on the latter the same form could be taken as impolite or overly formal and stiff.

Consequently, you need to know the social context, such as who are these characters and what is their relation one to another, and perhaps what are circumstances of their conversation.

Last edited: