Bulgarian : един въпрос на "вечер"

< Previous | Next >

mchatin

Turkish
Hello Bulgarian speakers,
I am learning Bulgarian and I try to understand the logic behind things.
As a mature learner, it only makes sense when you know the logic and define rules.

I am familiar with the genders of the words and their rules according to word endings. According to the rule, the word "вечер" is masculine as it ends wirh a consonant. And добър вечер is a good example. However I wonder why it is common to use приятна вечер. I wonder why it changes to feminine gender like so while you use приятен ден in stead of довър ден.
Can anyone explain the logic? Is there any other examples?

Thanks in advance.

• nimak

Macedonian
    According to the rule, the word "вечер" is masculine as it ends wirh a consonant.
    There are several exceptions, even though they end in consonant some nouns are of feminine gender: вечер, нощ, песен, есен, пролет, любов, обич etc. The nouns that end in -ост, -ест, -аст are of feminine gender too. These exceptions are present in other Slavic languages too.

In Bulgarian, in all other cases вечер is used as a feminine noun, except in the greeting "добър вечер". Why in this expression the adjective is of masculine gender will explain you better the native speakers of Bulgarian.

Last edited:

DarkChild

Bulgarian
    Вечер is a feminine noun and always receives feminine adjectives and the article -та.

The greeting добър вечер is an exception in that it appears with the masculine form добър. But even there you can sometimes hear the response добра да е, not добър да е. Important to note that the accent in добър вечер falls on the first syllable, while in any other situation the word добър has the accent on the second syllable.

There used to be a thread here discussing why the greeting is the way it is. It is thought that вечер was originally a masculine noun but over time became feminine. My personal hypothesis is that has to do with pronunciation. It may be that it was easier to say the phrase that way.

Awwal12

Russian
    I am familiar with the genders of the words and their rules according to word endings. According to the rule, the word "вечер" is masculine as it ends wirh a consonant.
    Slavic languages basically always contain some feminine nouns ending in a consonant. In Bulgarian it will be нощ, мощ, мисъл, реч etc. Вечер, however, is curious because originally it was masculine indeed (the trace of which fact is still preserved in "добър вечер").

mchatin

Turkish
    Thank you very much indeed. It was very helpful for me as well as it will be for all Bulgarian learners reading this thread.

Вечер is a feminine noun and always receives feminine adjectives and the article -та.

The greeting добър вечер is an exception in that it appears with the masculine form добър. But even there you can sometimes hear the response добра да е, not добър да е. Important to note that the accent in добър вечер falls on the first syllable, while in any other situation the word добър has the accent on the second syllable.

There used to be a thread here discussing why the greeting is the way it is. It is thought that вечер was originally a masculine noun but over time became feminine. My personal hypothesis is that has to do with pronunciation. It may be that it was easier to say the phrase that way.

DarkChild

Bulgarian
    There are also those words that can be either masculine or feminine depending on the meaning

Example: мед, газ, прах

< Previous | Next >