Bulgarian: интригантства

elroy

Moderator: EHL, Arabic, Hebrew, German(-Spanish)
US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
Hello!

The following sentence is from an article on aggression. This is from the section on different types of aggression. In this sentence, indirect aggression is defined.

Индиректната агресия е поведение, което цели да манипулира и интригантства с цел да нарани трето лице, като разпространява лъжи, клевети, тайни и клюки за него.

The sentence was translated as:

Indirect aggression: a type of behavior that aims to manipulate and collude, with the intention of harming a third party, by spreading lies, slander, secrets, and gossip about said third party.

"Collude" was corrected by a reviewer to "suborn." To be honest, I had never heard the word "suborn" before, so I looked it up.

Merriam-Webster defines "suborn" as
  1. to induce secretly to do an unlawful thing
  2. to induce to commit perjury; also : to obtain (perjured testimony) from a witness
"Collude" is defined as

Google Translate gave me "plot to hurt" and "intrigue."

"Collude" and "suborn" seem to mean different things. Google Translate's "plot to hurt" seems closer to "collude," but with my zero knowledge of Bulgarian I am in no position to determine which translation is best.

Your input would be appreciated!

Thanks!

• Hachi25

Serbo-Croatian
    I think the best way to help you here is to give you the definition of the Bulgarian verb. So, the verb used here is интригантствам, and it is defined as създавам интриги, which would be to make intrigues in English.

With that in mind, I would not support your reviewer's intervention, because spreading secrets and gossip (which the verb reffers on) are not necessarily illegal, and to suborn strongly implies the illegal component. Plot to hurt and collude seem to me as better options in this context.