Bulgarian: капия

Zareza

Romanian
Hello,

Please, can you help me? There is a product label here. There is a sort of sweet red pepper called in Romanian "ardei capia" and in English "Florina pepper". The Romanian dictionaries say that "capia" is a Bulgarian word (капия). What does it mean?

I've found only this text:
Столетия тому назад в с.Куртово Конаре импортирован в первые на Балканах красный американский перец - известный по энциклопедиям как "Куртовская Капия".
Centuries ago, in the village of Kurtovo, Konar imported red American pepper, the first in the Balkans, known by the encyclopedias as Kurtovskaya Kapiya.

I understand that in Bulgarian "Florina pepper" is called "Куртовская Капия". Firstly I thought that "капия" is "pepper", but on the label above there is the word "пипер" which is "pepper".

Can you bring a light on this question?:)

• Zareza

Romanian
    In this link I have found: капия – сорт пипер, разпространен в България = "capia" is a variety of pepper, distributed in Bulgaria

The village of Kurtovo Konare is situated in South Bulgaria, near the town of Stambolyiski. The first kilo of red pepper was produced here a century ago at the first plant of this kind. The local sort of paprika - Kurtovska Kapia - is well-known among vegetable connoisseurs. (source)

I understand then that it is капия пипер = a variety of pepper and Куртовска Капия пипер = a variety of capia pepper

I have found out this source.
    @jasio Could you understand if there is any information about? I see the word Етимология.

jasio

I have found out this source.
    @jasio Could you understand if there is any information about? I see the word Етимология.
    Only by recognising international words, googling and a bit of guess-work. ;-)

The first meaning of this капия word seems to be derived from a dialectal капи (plural) referring to bean pod or forms of pepper. I'm not sure about the word "чушки" in this context; dictionaries and wikipedia provide a range of seamingly unrelated meanings, but I seem to recall from my visit to Bulgaria decades ago that it was used to refer to extremaly hot, small peppers - which the sources I've found do not mention. It could be further confirmed though by referring later to "капица" = "pepper" or "green beans", "капичка" = "bean pod, pepper", "капички" = 'green beans', also old Bulgarian "капь" = a beetle shell, from Turkish "kap" - I don't know the Bulgarian words used in the translation, but at least some of them seem to refer to a cover of some sort. Interestingly enough, "kapa" in Polish means a thick fabric used to protect the bed during the day time (bedcover), a thick fabric used under the saddle to protect the horse back, or a thick fabric used as part of a priest's dress - but all these meanings are said to be derived from Latin rather than from Turkish. There are also some abbreviations here and there which I was not able to decrypt.

The second meaning is a sort of a door or gate, and it's derived directly from Turkish "kapi", "kapu", meaning the gate - but it does not seem to be related.