Bulgarian: столица(та) на

Rallino

Moderatoúrkos
Turkish
Здравейте.

I've heard two different sentences:

Талин е столицата на Естония.
Букурещ е столица на Румъния.

Why does the second sentence not have the additional -та? Can anyone explain the rule?

Thanks in advance.

• miasam

serbian - serbia
    Hard to explain :D I can't think of a particular rule here...
    Can you give us the context?

Christo Tamarin

Bulgarian
    Здравейте.

I've heard two different sentences:

Талин е столицата на Естония.

Why does the second sentence not have the additional -та? Can anyone explain the rule?

Thanks in advance.

All the arthromaniac languages (those which have articles to express definiteness) must have a notion of context. Actually, all languages have the notion of context, however in the arthromaniac languages, the context must be marked morphologically or syntactically. Note: All Romance languages, all Germanic languages, all Balkanic languages (Bulgarian, Greek, Albanian) are arthromaniac.

If an object is already in the context, then it should be marked as definite. If it is entering the context with the current phrase, then it is indefinite.

Талин е столицата на Естония. This means that Estonia along with its capital was already in the context of speech before the current phrase.

Талин е столица на Естония. This means that Estonia and/or its capital is entering the context of speech with the current phrase, Estonia and/or its capital was not in the context yet before the current phrase.

Rallino

Moderatoúrkos
    Turkish
    Thank you miasam and Christo Tamarin.

But then the articles in Bulgarian work a bit differently from the other languages, right?

I don't think it's possible to say "Talinn is capital of Estonia" without 'the'. There is only one capital, so the word is automatically definite, no?

These sentences were from a Bulgarian teaching video, so I didn't see them in a context. But I can't imagine a context where I would use "столица" without the article. It sounds like "Talinn is a capital of Estonia (among the other capitals of Estonia)"

DarkChild

Bulgarian
    Талин е столицата на Естония. - Tallinn is the capital of Estonia (not Tartu and not of Latvia)
    Талин е столица на Естония. - Tallinn is the capital of Estonia (not a village or neighborhood, but the capital city)

iezik

Slovenian
    But then the articles in Bulgarian work a bit differently from the other languages, right?
    The details of article usage differ between the languages. For example, geographic names are sometimes with article and sometimes without.

The country name (Estonia) is in Italian and French usually with article. Other languages with article don't use article when referring to Estonia as plain subject of sentence: Spanish, German, English, Hungarian, Swedish, Dutch, Bulgarian.

Rallino

Moderatoúrkos
    Turkish
    Талин е столицата на Естония. - Tallinn is the capital of Estonia (not Tartu and not of Latvia)
    Талин е столица на Естония. - Tallinn is the capital of Estonia (not a village or neighborhood, but the capital city)
    Thanks, DarkChild. That's interesting.

The details of article usage differ between the languages. For example, geographic names are sometimes with article and sometimes without.

The country name (Estonia) is in Italian and French usually with article. Other languages with article don't use article when referring to Estonia as plain subject of sentence: Spanish, German, English, Hungarian, Swedish, Dutch, Bulgarian.
    Got it. Thanks. :)