Bulgarian: чий vs на кого

Evo900

French
Hi,

I understand that both чий and на кого can be used to ask about possession ("whose?"). However, they don't seem to be fully interchangeable.

For example, "Чии обувки са?" would be correct but I'm told that "На кого обувки са?" sounds off.

Does any one have any guidance for proper usage of one vs the other?

Thanks

• Panceltic

Slovenščina
    I believe you can only use чий etc. in adjectival positions, whereas you can use either in independent positions.

"Whose shoes are these?"
    Чии обувки са това? :tick:
    На кого обувки са това? :cross:

vs.

"Whose are these shoes?"
    Чии са тези обувки? :tick:
    На кого са тези обувки? :tick:

DarkChild

Bulgarian
    I believe you can only use чий etc. in adjectival positions, whereas you can use either in independent positions.

"Whose shoes are these?"
    Чии обувки са това? :tick:
    На кого обувки са това? :cross:

vs.

"Whose are these shoes?"
    Чии са тези обувки? :tick:
    На кого са тези обувки? :tick:

This is correct although it is possible to say На кого обувките са това. It's colloquial and not refined at all but it is a valid construction.

Evo900

French
    I'm coming back to this topic. Thanks DarkChild for pointing out that "На кого обувките са това" is also correct (although somewhat inelegant).

This makes me wonder now about the use of a definite article in the other sentences. Would all of these be valid?
    • Чии обувките са това?
    • Чии са тези обувките?
    • На кого са тези обувките?
    I'm guessing only the 1st one is ok, because I've never seen a definite article following това.

Благодаря!

DarkChild

Bulgarian
    None of those are correct. While на кого обувките is fine, чии doesn't allow to be followed by an article.

miasam

serbian - serbia
    The 3 sentences would be correct if you used just обувки instead of обувките.