Bulgarian: Case usage with бъда and съм

Franeg

Polish
The prescriptivist rules for the artificial long/short masculine article usage mention that the long article should be used in situations where popular European languages with cases, eg. Latin or German, use the nominative case, so after съм, ставам/стана се etc. Among thеse verbs one can find бъда, but I have seen бъда used with the short article on a few ocassions. When I asked a native speaker who tries to really adhere to prescriptivist rules, he said he saw nothing wrong with the sentences I gave him, which confused me.

Does бъда take the short article? Moreover, what case are the pronouns used with it if I want to eg. say "Be him!"? Would they be accusative or nominative? Does бъда naturally take the accusative case and putting the long/nominative after it is yet another artificiality of the long/short article system?

• DarkChild

Bulgarian
    Be him is бъди него, not бъди той, so accusative.

As to which article is used in words like ставам, here's what I found. It takes the full article.

♦ Някои глаголи, употребени като полуспомагателни, също образуват съставно именно сказуемо и ако трябва да членуваме именната част, използваме пълен член. Такива глаголи са: оказвам се, изглеждам, ставам (в значение превръщам се), казвам се, наричам се, представлявам (в значение съм).
    Иван стана най-известният фотограф в училището. (Съгласуваното определение най-известният приема пълен член) В това изречение стана (в значение превърна се в) е полуспомагателен глагол и затова може да се замести с форма на спомагателния глагол съм → Иван беше най-известниятфотограф в училището.
    Употреба на пълен член - gramatika-bg

< Previous | Next >