Bulgarian vocabulary vs. other Slavic languages

< Previous | Next >

Icetrance

US English
Hi!

Does Bulgarian share a lot of same and similar words with other Slavic languages? Would Russian be most similar in this respect?

I know that Bulgarian grammar is much different than other Slavic languages. I'm talking more in terms of vocabulary similarities here, though.

I'm having a hard time finding a lot of detailed information online about the Bulgarian language. WOOF! Irritating.

• Ivo2008

Bulgarian
    I believe that we have a lot in common with Russian and Serbo-Croatian. The latter is probably the closest to Bulgarian. A Bulgarian would probably understand 70-80 % of what a Serbian or a Croatian has to say without any training. I cannot back it up with any facts, though. It is just my personal observation.

I am leaving Macedonian on purpose. It is a long story.

Icetrance

US English
    I believe that we have a lot in common with Russian and Serbo-Croatian. The latter is probably the closest to Bulgarian. A Bulgarian would probably understand 70-80 % of what a Serbian or a Croatian has to say without any training. I cannot back it up with any facts, though. It is just my personal observation.

I am leaving Macedonian on purpose. It is a long story.
    I really appreciate your input. :)

It definitely sounds more like Serbo-Croatian and Russian than it does Czech, Slovak and Polish.

I am going to try to learn Bulgarian. It's not an inflected language, but the verbal system is fascinating.

DarkChild

Bulgarian
    It definitely sounds more like Serbo-Croatian and Russian than it does Czech, Slovak and Polish.
    Absolutely. I can easily inderstand the meaning of a conversation in the firmer two, while the latter I might get an occasional word.
    Perhaps it goes a little off-topic, but is Bulgarian verbal system very different from the other Slavic languages?

Good bye.:
    It has many additional features not found in the rest. It's quite complicated in some aspects but I feel gives more expressivity :)

Icetrance

US English
    Thanks again for having replied, DarkChild:)

Yes, the fact that Serbo-Croatian and Russian are highly inflected doesn't stop you from understanding because there are so many words that are either similar or the same. Interesting.

I gather that Bulgarian hardly declines (use inflections) as opposed to the other Slavic languages, but its verbal system is much more complicated. So it's probably safe to say that Bulgarian is verbally more complicated whereas its languages cousin are more so nominally.

I was reading some about Bulgarian's verbal system. So much information is tied up in the verb alone. Its unique for sure. I want to learn more for that very reason.

sokol

Austrian (as opposed to Australian)
    Here's some excellent information on Bulgarian and Macedonian tenses. (They have - besides perferct tense - aorist and imperfect, and that in combination with aspect to which some exotic features are added, like non-witness mood. No other Slavic language has retained such a rich system of tenses. - But this thread is about vocabulary so please let's keep it on topic, right? :))

As far as Bulgarian vocabulary is concerned see here the mutual intelligibility thread where there's also some information on Bulgarian (also on other threads here in this forum).
    Bulgarian, it seems, shares quite some of its vocabulary with Russian due to Old Church Slavonic influence on Russian, and it also shares much vocabulary with neighbouring Serbian/Croatian.

< Previous | Next >