Bulge vs. protrude vs. pop out

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
After two car collided, some surface of cars dented and some "bulged" or "protruded" or "popped out".

Because the heat of summer, some road surface "bulged" or "protruded" or "popped out".

Which ones are correct? Which one is most appropriate in my two sentences? Thank you.

• heypresto

English - England
    In the first sentence, 'protruded' could possibly be the right word, but it would depend on seeing the damage, or knowing more about, exactly what you have in mind.

I'm not familiar with what a road might do in the heat of summer, but I can say that 'protruded' and 'popped out' both sound very unlikely.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Because the heat of summer, some road surface "bulged" or "protruded" or "popped out".

Which ones are correct? Which one is most appropriate in my two sentences?
    I don't think any of those work: in the UK at least, that's not what happens to a road surface in hot weather. The sun melts the tar, causing it to become sticky.

You can say that the heat of summer "buckles" a railway line, but again, none of your suggested alternatives work there. :(

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
    In the first sentence, 'protruded' could possibly be the right word, but it would depend on seeing the damage, or knowing more about, exactly what you have in mind.

I'm not familiar with what a road might do in the heat of summer, but I can say that 'protruded' and 'popped out' both sound very unlikely.
    Thank you hey presto.
    Do you mean in my first sentence, "protrude" is the only possible right one?
    For the heat of summer, it could cause two cement blocks that squeeze each other and one goes up like a volcano caused be continental plates. In this case, which one is correct?

heypresto

English - England
    Do you mean in my first sentence, "protrude" is the only possible right one?
    I meant 'protrude' might be possible, depending on the details of the damage in question. The others seem less likely.

For the heat of summer, it could cause two cement blocks that squeeze each other and one goes up like a volcano caused be continental plates. In this case, which one is correct?
    I've never seen such a thing, but I'd guess DonnyB's 'buckle' might be appropriate. Your three options don't feel right here.

I hope I'll never experience either of your contexts. I'll have difficulty in coming up with the right words to use when describing them to my friends. :)

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I think I'd probably use "buckled" to describe the road surface there.

I suppose "bulged" might work, but I don't think "protruded" does, and "popped out" certainly doesn't. :(

spilorrific

English - US
    The heat of summer might buckle a road surface... see photo sent by Kirusha.
    I agree that a car's roof, hood, or trunk surface (boot, in some English-speaking lands) or any other surface might buckle as a result of a collision. (See srk's message immediately above.) I have taken a quick survey of three other native US English speakers (two men and a woman, in case you care) and all agree that "protrude" sounds less correct to our ears -- and has a medical sound to it. (Ex: The bone of his big toe protruded (up) through the skin.)

suzi br

English / England
    After two car collided, some surface of cars dented and some "bulged" or "protruded" or "popped out".

Which ones are correct? Which one is most appropriate in my two sentences? Thank you.
    There are really two questions here: what do we say for dents in cars? and what do we say about deformed roads?
    My short answer to both is: I would not use any of these three options for the car or the road surface.

What is your real interest here? Finding appropriate words for damaged cars / roads? OR Finding how to use the three words you proposed?

< Previous | Next >