bulk fibre

nodout

Croatian
Hello everybody!
Does anybody know what a "bulk" fibre is? It has to do with the testing of fibres for regulatory purposes (for potentially dangerous substances).
"Samples are taken from the fibre blanket or from loose bulk fibres."
Thank you for any suggestions.

• tottallyoff

russian
    If I am guessing the meaning correctly, if you purchase something in large (read 'lot') quantities, it is usually said that you are buying 'in bulk'. For example, when buying brick for construction, instead of buying a 10 at a time, you may want to buy 1000 or tons. Thats buying in bulk.

Last edited:

jpyvr

English - Canadian
    I think tottallyoff is correct in his interpretation. To clarify, bulk fibres would be those fibres that are used in the manufacture of this fibre blanket, but which have not yet been woven into a finished product. They would likely have been bought "in bulk."

nodout

Croatian
    Yes, thank you. This is the (commercial) meaning I am familiar with. And maybe it's the right one, I just can't see what it has to do with sampling, so I thought maybe there is some other meaning I am not aware of (or any of my dictionaries).

jpyvr

English - Canadian
    I think that by "samples" they mean that when they do scientific tests for dangerous materials they use some "sample" fibres - which may come either from the fibre blanket or from loose bulk fibres. "Samples" in this case would be the material subject to testing.

Hope this helps!

nodout

Croatian
    I think tottallyoff is correct in his interpretation. To clarify, bulk fibres would be those fibres that are used in the manufacture of this fibre blanket, but which have not yet been woven into a finished product. They would likely have been bought "in bulk."
    Thank you. This is what I thought at first but then loose fibres came up and confused me some more. I can't see what the difference would be between the two. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

nodout

Croatian
    I think that by "samples" they mean that when they do scientific tests for dangerous materials they use some "sample" fibres - which may come either from the fibre blanket or from loose bulk fibres. "Samples" in this case would be the material subject to testing.

Hope this helps!
    Thank you again. I seem to be lagging behind all the time. :)
    I understand what sample fibres are, but I need to be very precise because I'm translating legislation.
    Anyway, you have been very helpful. A native speaker perspective always helps, so I think I am getting there now.

< Previous | Next >