bullish - bearish

< Previous | Next >

QueVivaPSV

Banned
Dutch
Is it possible to say that a bullish market sentiment is a positive market sentiment and that a bearish sentiment is a negative market sentiment?

I am writing an economic article about the sentiments on the Forex market.

Bullish = prices are expected to rise
Bearish = prices are expected to fall

The terms 'positive and negative' should be seen from the point of view of traders, investors.

Thank you.

• teksch

English - American
    You have described the markets correctly. A bull market is a growing market and a bear market is the opposite. I think I would use the word "trend" instead of "sentiment" but that is just the way I have always heard bull and bear markets called.

QueVivaPSV

Banned
    Dutch
    Thanks for your replay.

A bullish market is a growing/ expanding market, while a bearish market is a contracting/ declining market?

sdgraham

USA English
    The terms 'positive and negative' should be seen from the point of view of traders, investors.
    Generally speaking, this is true. However, it is quite possible to make a lot of money by correctly anticipating a falling market. Those so engaged would consider a coming "bear" market to be quite welcome.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    In addition to sdgraham's good point—short sellers are positively ecstatic as the prospect of a bear market—these terms may be quite problematical in a forex context. If we take the simplistic example of a market in which there are only two currencies, the relative devaluation of one is apt to be good news for some traders, while it will be bad news for others. Of course if you limit the adjectives to a single currency, or group of named currencies, the terms may be useful.

< Previous | Next >