bullshit vs. bull-bleep

• Siberia

UK-Wales - English
    I think "bleep" here is substituting "shit" as it is a taboo word.
    What the bleep? You need to shut the bleep up before I bleeping bleep your bleep off the face of the bleeping planet.
    The word bleep here substitutes the "bad" words. (urbandictionary)

evilregis

English, Canada
    "Bleep" is used because it's an onomatopaeia for the sound used by TV shows to censor curse words.

When a TV show censors curse words, you may hear someone use "bleep" as a verb. For example: I can't believe they bleeped that!

As well, it is used to replace curse words in spoken language. Not often, but you do hear it from time to time. Example: Downtown was a cluster-bleep after the hockey game was over.

mplsray

Hi,

is "bullshit" the same as "bull-bleep"?

Thanks.
    Bull-bleep is a euphemism for bullshit which probably came about as follows.

In the US, it is acceptable in movies to say bullshit if the movie is not intended for children. When such a movie is shown on television, on broadcast TV or on some cable channels, bullshit is unacceptable, so the second element of the word is bleeped--replaced by a beep or replaced by silence, so that the actor is heard saying bull, an acceptable euphemism for bullshit. In closed captioning, this is often seen as bull [bleep]. The form bull-bleep is a humorous take-off on this. Presumably there are people who use bull-bleep in speech, but I haven't heard it.

mplsray

Bull-bleep is a euphemism for bullshit which probably came about as follows.

In the US, it is acceptable in movies to say bullshit if the movie is not intended for children. When such a movie is shown on television, on broadcast TV or on some cable channels, bullshit is unacceptable, so the second element of the word is bleeped--replaced by a beep or replaced by silence, so that the actor is heard saying bull, an acceptable euphemism for bullshit. In closed captioning, this is often seen as bull [bleep]. The form bull-bleep is a humorous take-off on this. Presumably there are people who use bull-bleep in speech, but I haven't heard it.
    Another way to make a swear word acceptable to some cable channels and to network TV is to overdub the word, or a part of the word. In the movie Terminator III, at one point the character John Connor refers to something as bullshit. The American Movie Classics' version of the film overdubs the word so that it comes out bull trip. (AMC is a cable channel.)

< Previous | Next >