Bullying provincials

James Zhang

China/Chinese
Hi, friends. How to get the phrase "people seen as narrow-minded, bullying provincials" in:

Most ominous to some have been his (Mr Ahmadinejad) purges not just of reformists, but also of the wider revolution-era nomenklatura from ministries, local government and universities in favour of people seen as narrow-minded, bullying provincials.

Thanks.

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Mr Ahmadinejad seems to favor people who are seen as provincials, who are both narrow-minded and bullying. (They bully other people.)

I hope this answers your question.

Loob

English UK
    The sentence is a difficult one, James; for example, I don't know what is meant by nomenklatura.

But I assume that bullying provincials = people who have power locally & (1) have no idea what national-level issues are about (2) are bullies at the local level.

EDIT: I agree with Cagey.

James Zhang

China/Chinese
    Mr Ahmadinejad seems to favor people who are seen as provincials, who are both narrow-minded and bullying. (They bully other people.)

I hope this answers your question.
    Does "Mr Ahmadinejad's purges of reformists and nomenklatura in favour of people seen as narrow-minded, bullying provincials" tell us that Ahmadinejad favors such people?
    I thought he just wants to remove such people....

Confused...

Loob

English UK
    The sentence seems to say that Mr Ahmadinejad favours people who are seen as narrow-minded, bullying provincials.

James Zhang

China/Chinese
    The sentence seems to say that Mr Ahmadinejad favours people who are seen as narrow-minded, bullying provincials.
    So, it means Ahmadinejad disfavor reformists and nomenklatura but favors bullying provincials?

I thought "in favor of" modifies "the wider revolution-era nomenklatura from ministries, local government and universities", as they are so close to each other...

:(

xqby

English (U.S.)
    So, it means Ahmadinejad disfavor reformists and nomenklatura but favors bullying provincials?
    Yes.

I thought "in favor of" modifies "the wider revolution-era nomenklatura from ministries, local government and universities", as they are so close to each other...
    No, to get rid of one thing in favor of of a second thing means that you prefer the latter.

"I got rid of my red couch in favor of a green one."
    This means that I used to have a red couch. Now I have a green couch.
    It does not mean I favor green couches.

James Zhang

China/Chinese
    So, how to identify the modifying relations of "in favor of" or its usage in a sentence...

Now I see reformists, nomenklatura and bullying provincials are not of the same sort...
    It is a logical judgement.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    You are right; the reformists and nomenklatura are one group; the bullying provincials are the other group.

I think you understand it, or do you still have a question?

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >