bullying, to bully

< Previous | Next >

Quiquezo

Japanese
Hi there!
I'm from Japan.
since some decades, bullying at the school or office has been a huge problem in my country.
that includes repeated violence, threatening, ignoring, hiding personal belongings against targeted student or person
many people commit suicide because of bullying.
I don't know whether you have the same prolem in Chinese speaking countries, but what do you call for that?
I've tried write of that on the e-mail to Chinese friend however couldn't find the exact word.

Duoxie!

• wangyang0086

chinese- Madarin
    Normally, we have an expression "school violence" 校园暴力(xiao yuan bao li) for bullying at school.
    Bully in oral language, it's 欺负(qi fu, to bully). It could also be used in written.
    For ex: 不许欺负新同学。
    你是比我大,但是也不能总欺负我吧!

In written language, it's 欺凌弱小 (qi ling ruo xiao). It is more formal than 欺负。
    For ex: 欺凌弱小是懦夫的表现。

M Mira

Mandarin
    We call it 霸凌 bà líng in Taiwan, which is apparently coined to capture both the sound and the meaning of "bullying".

Skatinginbc

Mandarin 國語
    I do like 霸凌, which successfully captures the nuance of superior strength or influence typically associated with the bully. But I would go with 欺凌, which is presumably understandable to all Chinese communities and therefore a better recommendation for learners of Chinese as a second language. When I lived in Taiwan, the term 霸凌 had not been coined yet :D, and it is still not listed in 國語辭典.

I'm surprised that 凌霸 (as opposed to 霸凌) has not been used as a term for "bully" (a person) yet given that 霸 (= 依杖权势或武力欺压他人的人) can refer to a person.

Last edited:

SuperXW

I agree with others.
    By the way, when "bully" is used to refer the student who often bully others, it is often hard to translate it into Chinese.
    "He's a bully in school."
    The best I can do is 他是学校里的恶霸. But 恶霸 usually refers to adults, and sounds more serious than a little student who bullies schoolmates.

Last edited:

Quiquezo

Japanese
    Wow!
    多谢大家!

嗯,我先想到 欺负, 可是欺负的印象是否一点点轻松?
    校园暴力, 日语也有 校内暴力。(可是意思不是完全一样)

欺凌, 霸凌——记住了!
    They are more likely to be some sort of serious harassment, aren't they?

I think those two would fit what I wanted to express.

anyway, thank you all.

learntheworld

Chinese
    Comparing to 欺负, 欺凌 is used more in written language or in more formal contexts, as was perhaps already mentioned. And I think it depends on the context whether 欺凌 is serious or not. Indeed, to me 欺负 generally sounds less serious than 欺凌.

< Previous | Next >