• Songbird17

    Senior Member
    Bonjour tout le monde-Hi!

    I found on here that brimade is bullying and feminine, but I've seen it as "brimades" and I'm not sure how to use it.

    It is in a school board document being revised and the context is this:

    Bullying is defined in School Board Policy 3.43,
    Bullying and Harassment, set forth in Appendix A to this Code.

    My attempt at the use of this word in this phrase is:

    Les brimades sont définies dans le règlement du conseil administratif scolaire 3.43, Brimade et harcèlement, exposés dans l’appendice A de ce Code.

    I'm confused if I should use "brimades" or "brimade". Can someone clear this up for me, please? I would appreciate it. Thank you! Merci!


    Senior Member
    I'd put everything into the plural :)

    Les brimades sont définies dans le règlement du conseil administratif scolaire 3.43, Brimades et Harcèlements, exposés dans l’appendice A de ce Code.


    Senior Member
    Hi !
    It seems to me the subjet is the bad behaviour of pupils who bully and harass other children and not the punishment these bullies are to endure.
    As in this previous post "On utilise souvent le mot "bully" (as a noun) pour les enfants qui vont à l'école. in that context it is a kid who repeatedly teases, makes fun of, pushes around (either physically or othewise) other kids."
    In this context are you sure "brimades" is the right word ? A bit old school (or is your text dated ? but bullying and harassment seem recent bad behaviour at school, don't they ?)or a reference to army, to me.
    I'm still searching for the word we would use in French though...
    Last edited:


    Senior Member
    School rules use the words "comportements violents", ou "Les manquements au règlement intérieur de l’école, et, en particulier, toute atteinte à l’intégrité physique ou morale des autres élèves ou des maîtres seront portés à la connaissance des familles."
    If some teachers or headmasters are around...

    I agree with Fredd, brimades is old school. But I'm not sure we have a word in french for "bully" though, as I've been looking for it for a while.

    However, I would say "Abus et Harcèlement" in general in that context, or maybe "Harcèlement et Bizutage".


    Senior Member

    I agree with nadjou : bulling means bizutage also, 'normally' violences at he beginning of the year against new students. The reaction against such practice has been quite slow in France.


    Senior Member
    Spanish Spain
    En espagnol, on utilise le mot anglais "bullying" Est-ce qu'en français, on le traduit toujours? "Harcèlement, brimades, etc. ", on n'emploie pas directement le mot "bullying"? Merci.


    Senior Member

    Non, à ma connaissance, le mot bullying n'est pas courant en France (peut-être au Canada ?). On utilise par contre le mot racket lorsqu'il y a extorsion d'argent.


    Senior Member
    USA English
    "Brimer", "la brimade/les brimades", "être brimé" - these all exist and are synonymous with the slang form "bizuter"/"le bizutage", and these all all linked to the idea of "hazing" in the USA.
    1. Définitions : brimade - Dictionnaire de français Larousse
    2. Définitions : bizuter - Dictionnaire de français Larousse
    "L'harcèlement" (as in "L'harcèlement sexuel"} or "l'intimidation" also work. "Comportements violents" seems like a more general term that could encompass these. Interesting entry here that shows "caïdage": Le grand dictionnaire terminologique
    < Previous | Next >