1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

bummed out

Discussion in 'English Only' started by FLOWER, Jul 21, 2009.

1. FLOWER Banned

MEXICO, DF
    Mexico, DF - spanish
    Hello!

I just found out an expression ' I am really bummed out' and I wonder what it means and in what situation i can use it.

2. Brand Member

Ville de Québec
    English - Canadian
    Hi Flower,

"Bummed out" is an informal expression meaning something has left you depressed (not as bad as severe clinical depression, but worse than just feeling sad) or exasperated.

It refers to when something happens that leaves you sort of emotionally numbed. For instance, in Montreal Canada the other day a concrete slab fell 16 stories and killed a woman who was eating dinner on a patio with her husband.

In this case, the husband was much more than 'bummed out.' However, anyone who heard the story would be 'bummed out' by it. Sad, sort of numb, not knowing what to think, a little depressed.

If you fail a class, you will likely be temporarily 'bummed out.'

It can also be used as a verb: "This is bumming me out."

Edit - grammar

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  3. Cagey post mod (English Only / Latin)

California
    English - US
    It expresses the idea that you are feeling very discouraged or unhappy.

It comes from the 60's, and I suspect that it would sound dated if you used it these days.

Edit: Brand, do people your age say this?

4. Brand Member

Ville de Québec
    English - Canadian
    Here at least, Cagey, its use is very widespread from anyone between 15 and 60.

5. Cagey post mod (English Only / Latin)

California
    English - US
    Cool! ;)

(Thank you.)

6. lablady

lablady Senior Member

Central California
    English - USA
    I assure you that the phrase is still alive and well in these parts :D. There is also a shorter version; I frequently hear it as just "bummed", as in "I was really bummed". Something that is discouraging is a "bummer".

Then again, this town does have more than its share of throw-backs to the 60's. :)