bumper sticker

irene.acler

Italiano
Hello everybody :)

This is my context:

I was drinking the champagne now as fast as the several bartenders could pour it. Flashbulbs were going off in a corner. There's a bumper sticker that reads "Are we having fun yet?" No one seemed to know.

This short text has been written with a sort of humour in it, but to be honest I'm not able to catch it... Maybe when it refers to the bumper sticker? I don't know.
I have to find out the humour used by the person who pronounces these sentences.

Does anybody know something?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

• envie de voyager

english-canadian
    A bumper sticker is a label with a few words written on it which is attached to the back of a car. Some are advertisements, some refer to tourist destinations and some are mildly humourous. "Are we having fun yet" is a common bumper sticker phrase. The words are written very small so that it can only be read if you are close to the vehicle, which means that other drivers can only read it when you they are sitting still behind you in traffic. The humour in the phrase comes from the fact that car companies advertise their cars as being fun to drive. So, the driver with the bumper sticker is being sarcastic by asking the other drivers "are we having fun yet?"

Having a few drinks in a bar is supposed to be fun. Asking "are we having fun yet" is a common way of sarcastically saying I know that we are doing something which is supposed to be fun, but I'm not having fun.

Last edited:

irene.acler

Italiano
    Fabulist, sorry, my question wasn't clear. What I was asking is where humours lies in those few lines. I thought it could refer to the bumber sticker, but I wasn't sure at all!

Envie de voyager, thank you very much for the explanation :)

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Fabulist, sorry, my question wasn't clear. What I was asking is where humours lies in those few lines.
    The writer says, "I was drinking the champagne now as fast as the several bartenders could pour it. Flashbulbs were going off in a corner." This is exciting and fun, isn't it? Well, it should be but the writer does not feel that he is having fun, and so he quotes the slogan on the bumper sticker.

Imagine a friend say, "I know! Let's go into town tonight - we can have some drinks, and then move on to a club!" Everyone agrees because they think it will be fun. However, the bar where you drink is boring. You move to another, and it is worse. You go to the club. It is expensive and there are very few people there and the music is terrible.

At this point, you are sitting around a table and everyone is bored. A member of your party says, "Are we having fun yet?" This is deeply ironic as it is obvious that, although the purpose of the evening was "to have fun" nobody is having any fun - nobody has achieved the goal of the evening.

(As with all jokes, explaining it kills it stone-dead...)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >