Bumper sticker

Vivian0925

mandarin
I got this small conversation from series''friends''
chandler said that"I used to have that bumper sticker." what does bumper sticker mean in this context??

sorry for not enough context to let u guys know

Monica: Joey, what are you gonna do when you have a baby?
Joey: I'm gonna be in the waitin' room, handing out cigars!
Chandler: Yes, Joey's made arrangements to have his baby in a movie from the 50's.

Ross: Susan wanted a Chunky. We're having a baby, ok, a baby... you don't stop for Chunkys.
Chandler: I used to have that bumper sticker.

Last edited:
  • jmichaelm

English - US
    A bumper sticker is a sticker you attach to a vehicle. It's usually meant to express some idea as a slogan. In comedy it can mean a lot of very different things depending on the context - comedy being very context-dependent.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    It is a sticker that goes on a bumper. A sticker is a piece of plastic that has adhesive on one side and a message or picture on the other.

A bumper is the part of the car that is furthest to the front or rear of a car.

A bumper sticker:

pob14

American English
    I got this small conversation from series''friends''
    chandler said that"I used to have that bumper sticker." what does bumper sticker mean in this context??
    You didn't give us any context. The others have given you the literal meaning of "bumper sticker," but knowing Chandler, the chances that he actually meant "I had that bumper sticker on my car" are very, very small (I'm not sure Chandler even had a car). He probably meant "That would make a good slogan for a bumper sticker," possibly in response to something that someone else said who was trying to sound profound.

But without context, who knows?

Scott AM

English - Canada
    Either he means (literally) "I had that bumper sticker" or (idiomatically) "that quote is so pithy, it's suitable to be used as a bumper sticker". A "bumper sticker" still means what jmichaelm describes in post #2.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    Or, it means that Chandler used to support a cause that the person speaking to him referred to. Placing a bumper sticker on your car is a metaphor for supporting a cause, because bumper stickers (such as the one in post 4) often promote causes that the owner of a car supports. As jmichaelm wrote in post 2, we don't know because we don't have enough context.

Scott AM

English - Canada
    Or, it means that Chandler used to support a cause that the person speaking to him referred to. Placing a bumper sticker on your car is a metaphor for supporting a cause, because bumper stickers (such as the one in post 4) often promote causes that the owner of a car supports. As jmichaelm wrote in post 2, we don't know because we don't have enough context.
    I hadn't thought of that one - that's a real possibility, too!

Scott AM

English - Canada
    OK, here is some context. Sorry I don't have character names for the dialogue:

From "Friends", “The One With The Birth,”
    Season one, Episode 23
    Originally aired 5/11/95

-Where have you been?
    -We stopped at the gift shop
    - I got this, and Susan wanted a Chunky.
    - You're having a baby. You don't stop for Chunkies.
    - I used to have that bumper sticker

So made-up, pithy phrase it is!

Myridon

English - US
    Chandler is making a joke because "I stop for X" is (was?) a common pattern for bumper stickers ("I stop for Chunkies" "I'm warning you if I see a Chunky (candy bar), I'm going to stop my car right in the middle of the street because I really like them.)

andrewg927

English - American
    Chandler is making a joke because "I stop for X" is (was?) a common pattern for bumper stickers ("I stop for Chunkies" "I'm warning you if I see a Chunky (candy bar), I'm going to stop my car right in the middle of the street because I really like them.)
    Of course, Chandler is not to be taken literally.

Vivian0925

mandarin
    You didn't give us any context. The others have given you the literal meaning of "bumper sticker," but knowing Chandler, the chances that he actually meant "I had that bumper sticker on my car" are very, very small (I'm not sure Chandler even had a car). He probably meant "That would make a good slogan for a bumper sticker," possibly in response to something that someone else said who was trying to sound profound.

But without context, who knows?
    sorry for not enough context to let u guys know

Monica: Joey, what are you gonna do when you have a baby?
    Joey: I'm gonna be in the waitin' room, handing out cigars!
    Chandler: Yes, Joey's made arrangements to have his baby in a movie from the 50's.

Ross: Susan wanted a Chunky. We're having a baby, ok, a baby... you don't stop for Chunkys.
    Chandler: I used to have that bumper sticker.

Vivian0925

mandarin
    so thanks!!!!!!!!!!! i got it:))

< Previous | Next >