Bunch of boys [was/were]

< Previous | Next >
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Myridon

English - US
    The "bunch" in "bunch of lettuce" and "bunch of grapes" is not necessarily the same "bunch" as "a bunch of boys."
    I had a bunch of almonds on my salad. I had a large number of almonds on my salad. :tick:
    I had a bunch of grapes on my salad. I had a vine with grapes on it on my salad. :eek:
    I had a bunch of lettuce on my salad. I had a whole head of lettuce still connected to the base/root on my salad. :eek:

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Am I the only one who finds bunch and lettuce a strange combination? I think this is the first time I have ever seen "bunch of lettuce.":

Lady Mondegreen: "Is that bunch of lettuce for me, Sir George?"
    Sir George: "Indeed it is, my lady. It is as fresh as your complexion."
    Lady Mondegreen: "I am touched. I will place them in the vase near the window."

Copyright

American English
    Am I the only one who finds bunch and lettuce a strange combination? I think this is the first time I have ever seen "bunch of lettuce.":
    Probably not if you've read post 7. :) It's a head of lettuce for me ... when it's in a head, of course. But you can use "bunch" with "lettuce" -- You carefully slice up red and yellow bell peppers, green and black olives, some artichoke hearts and red onion, and then throw in a bunch of lettuce and add some extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar to create a lovely salad.

"A bunch" here meaning a lot.

Myridon

English - US
    Leaf lettuces, romaine lettuce, etc do not form a rounded head like iceberg lettuce or cabbage. It is common (or, at least, common to me) to refer to these groupings of things (sometimes bound together with a rubber band for sale as a unit amount) as a bunch. Also, a bunch of carrots. It's not "a lot".

Copyright

American English
    Sounds fine to me ... I didn't think of them because I seldom eat them. Too long living in the Midwest with iceberg lettuce.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I have the feeling that this thread has wandered far from the topic of a bunch of boys.
    Sorry to be a spoilsport, but I have closed the thread to spoil your sport.
    There are, or should it be there is, lots of other threads on this fascinating topic, but I'm not going to tell you where they are.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >