Bunch of sixes, bro.

< Previous | Next >

chopin7

Albanian
Hello

It's the movie "Spring".
There are three Americans in Italy admiring some hot girls and so on.
One of them says, " Bunch of sixes, bro."
The other reacts "Sixes?" and that's it.
Searched online for a possible explanation about this but found nothing.
What he might possibly mean?
It's obvious they are all hot over them, but "sixes" remain obscure here for me.

Thank you

• pob14

American English
    I assume that the one reacting appears surprised when he says "Sixes?"

This seems to be the practice, still common in some circles, of rating the attractiveness of members of the opposite sex on a scale of one (least attractive) to ten (most attractive). The responder is probably surprised that the first speaker rates the women as low as six.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Urban dictionary http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=six gives
    Six is the name of the android who was the sex slave on the crew of the cartoon "Tripping The Rift." A girl who is Six is so serenatastic* that she is probably is an android after all, and therefore most likely designed for one purpose in a virtual world.
    So we can translate "Bunch of sixes, bro." -> "There is a group of absolutely charming young ladies."

*Somebody who is serenatastic is female, voluptuous, and curvaceous, (also Urban Dictionary)

chopin7

Albanian
    Thank you, Pob14 and PaulQ.
    Is urban always reliable as a dictionary?
    Pob's explanation seems more sound to me.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Is urban always reliable as a dictionary?
    :D No, anyone can add anything to it, and some people do so because they are bored. However, many of the entries are genuine and helpful - you just have to be careful.

In your example, I also thought of pob14's response, but, to me, if you are marking girls on their looks, the standard is "marks out of ten" and thus remarking on "sixes" would be unusual. On the other hand, you should balance the Urban Dictionary "offering" with the probability of whether the people saying the phrase would be aware of "Tripping The Rift", which is referenced at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripping_the_Rift

Copperknickers

Scotland - Scots and English
    Definitely POB's suggestion. It's extremely common.

'She's a ten'.

'I'd say more an eight'.

'No way, she's a ten. An eight would be that blonde last night. You know, the one with those two 5s'.

Not the most respectful way of speaking about women but it's the way people talk these days. And as for Urban Dictionary: it includes words from a variety of different subcultures and different varieties of English, and a lot of the entries are joke entries or memes, or just extremely obscure. It should be used more like one uses a search engine rather than an actual dictionary.

< Previous | Next >