Bundle

arietenata

italian
Hi there,
" One large bundle held their all — bed, coffee-mill, looking-glass, hens — all but the cat,.."
Walden/ Thoreau

Am I wrong or a bundle is something like

So how could possibly someone put a bed and hens into it???:confused::confused:

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    You're right, there's no ordinary meaning of 'bundle' that can accommodate hens, much less a bed. I just looked up the OED looking for obsolete meanings that would suit, but there are none. So he must have been using it in a very vague way, "a collection of stuff in one place". I get the impression Thoreau liked stretching the language. (Yes, 'perennial passage', I mean you!)

fiercediva

American English
    Thoreau passed them on the road after they vacated the premises, and he doesn't say they were carrying the bundle in their arms or on their back. Considering it was the shanty's furnishings, they probably put their possessions in a bundle on a wagon or cart.

arietenata

italian
    Thoreau passed them on the road after they vacated the premises, and he doesn't say they were carrying the bundle in their arms or on their back. Considering it was the shanty's furnishings, they probably put their possessions in a bundle on a wagon or cart.
    Thanks a lot.
    But still I can't imagine hens or bed in a bundle, even if they put it on a wagon or cart.

arietenata

italian
    :);)Thanks a lot indeed.

< Previous | Next >