bunting of phrases

kahroba

Persian
Please confirm if "bunting" in the following context, taken from "The Bitter Drink" (biography of Veblen) in "The Big Money" by Dos Passos, means "flag" or "banner". Otherwise please tell me what's meant by that:
These were the years of Debs's speeches, growing labor unions, the I.W. W. talk about industrial democracy: these years Veblen still held to the hope that the workingclass would take over the machine of production before monopoly had pushed the western nations down into the dark again.
War cut across all that: under the cover of the bunting of Woodrow Wilson's phrases the monopolies cracked down. American democracy was crushed.

Last edited:
  • Lis48

English - British
    Karoba, I don´t think bunting means flags here but refers to the cloth that you wrap a baby in so that only the little face shows, like an infant sleeping bag. That would fit better with "under the cover of", protected by.
    Answer #3 here. A snug-fitting, hooded sleeping bag of heavy material for infants. http://www.answers.com/topic/bunting

Categenesis

English
    Since bunting refers to material used to create flags, and since there's a war on, and since the president's phrases are likely a nationalistic call-to-action which monopolies could follow, pretending to serve the common good while really serving their own ends, I would suggest that this "bunting" probably refers to flags.

Don

bibliolept

AE, Español
    I agree: the mention of war very strongly suggests nationalistic propaganda, jingoism, and calls to patriotic action and sacrifice. As Eric Hoffer said, "charlatanism of some degree is indispensable to effective leadership."

< Previous | Next >