burden of tomorrow - semantic problem

crystaldreg

Hungarian
Hello there,

Again I have some difficulties with lyrics, however totally different genre:

"But I will fight this stranger that you should fear
So I won't be a burden of tomorrow dear"

This is basically a chorus of a song by The tallest man on earth.

I tried so hard, but still don't get what the poet, artist wants to say with this.
My take would be (a possible rendition): I will fight this stranger inside me, that you should have fear of, so that I won't be a burden of tomorrow.

Is this right?? And if it is, what on earth could that mean? Why would someone cease to be a burden of tomorrow if one fights the stranger inside him that (hypothetically) I should be afraid of? It is absolutely out of context, almost dadaist, however I'm pretty sure it wasn't in the artist's aim.
It's perhaps not the best idea to analyze lyrics, but some symbolic meaning ought to come through if any. I don't know if it is a cunning hoax again or is there something I misinterpreted.
Thanks in advance!

• "Oh the singer's on the edge to feed the canyon's mouth
    They will go on forever til they sing you out of time
    But I will fight this stranger that you should fear
    So I won't be a burden of tomorrow dear"
    I actually can't find anything in this verse to support myself... The singer's voice is echoing forever in the canyon... until time stops... sooooo actually this verse makes me think that this song is about Life. and the stranger is death.
    Source: http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/3530822107858819917/

suzi br

English / England
    I think that thread is interesting. Fans cannot agree amongst themselves, and seeing that the whole song is composed of mysterious metaphors you could enjoy readiing that.

To me, burden of tomorrow suggests he's going to kill himself so as not to be a burden in the future, but I don't for a minute suggest that this is what the writer intened here!

crystaldreg

Hungarian
    Thanks for your fast reply! But I've already read that, before posting the thread, however it still didn't give any sense to it. If we look at it this way: I fight the fear of death or death itself so it won't be a burden tomorrow. (why is death the stranger anyway?)
    But it doesn't say that: it says he himself, who has the fear from death won't be a burden OF tomorrow. For whom?
    Sorry, this concerns me pretty much, since good poems have a range of meanings, which are simultanously logical, make sense and because of this ostensible vagueness one might think it makes a good poem if someone drills words and patches of meaning to sew them together in an ad hoc way. If it's the outspoken aim of the poem than it's a different question, but the musical accompaniment doesn't really provide this.
    The interpretation in the comment you've linked here, saying that the lyrics is about the Earth, still don't happen to be working 100%.
    Thanks anyway!

suzi br

English / England
    Hi again. Well it certainly not at all clear what voice / persona the writer is adopting, nor whom that voice might be addressing.

While I agree that in general it is interesting to tease out meanings in poetry, I find this song lyric lacks any sense of cohesion that allows a consistent analysis, so for me it loses interest!

The people in the thread suggest a variety of options, for the persona he is adopting, some more immortal than others. If he is speaking as a lover, it is all rather pretentious. On the other hand, adopting the persona of a deity could also seem a bit pretentious, too.

I doubt you are going to really ever know what was intended, unles you write to him yourself!

Last edited:

crystaldreg

Hungarian
    So true! However, even if I'd ask him what he meant, I'm not sure he will be willing to answer my question, either because he himself doesn't know the answer or it would render the lyrics so profane, it would lose its artistic value. :)

suzi br

English / England
    So true! However, even if I'd ask him what he meant, I'm not sure he will be willing to answer my question, either because he himself doesn't know the answer or it would render the lyrics so profane, it would lose its artistic value. :)
    Maybe so. It has certainly performed some function for us in terms of entertainment and discussion which must make it a success in some ways.

bye for now
    x

Death is a stranger, because you cannot meet with death without dying.

I doubt that anyone is better placed than yourself, a fan- who benefits from the context of the style and genre of the artist- to interpret it!

NazzaG

< Previous | Next >