Bureaucratic politics tended to ...

odin_revisited

India and Tamil
Bureaucratic politics tended to deflect Japanese naval strategy from the Mahanian trajectory it would have followed had the IJN abided purely by Mahanian precepts.

whether the sentence is grammatically correct and makes sense?

thanks in advance.

• mrbilal87

English (NAmE)
    Bureaucratic politics tended to deflect Japanese naval strategy from the Mahanian trajectory it would have followed had the IJN abided purely by Mahanian precepts.

whether the sentence is grammatically correct and makes sense?

thanks in advance.
    Hi odin_revisited,

To me it's a bit confusing because it is not clear what the red "it" refers to. You might want to briefly explain what you're trying to say here and that way we may be able to help you better.

Cheers!

odin_revisited

India and Tamil
    "it" in this sentence seems to be referring to the Japanese naval strategy (which, it seems, would have followed the Mahanian trajectory).

What the problem is here, whether Bureaucratic politics "tended" ....(and) "had"....precepts.

mrbilal87

English (NAmE)
    Hi, odin_revisited

Actually, reading the sentence again with a better idea of what it's trying to say, it's pretty clear that the "it" is referring to the strategy (as you said). This sentence makes perfect sense to me and it is very grammatically correct.

Looks like it's time for me to go to bed! :eek:

Cheers!

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Bureaucratic politics tended to deflect Japanese naval strategy from the Mahanian trajectory it <= Japanese naval strategy> would have followed had the IJN <= if the IJN had> abided purely by Mahanian precepts.

I hope that helps to make the sentence clearer.

odin_revisited

India and Tamil
    Bureaucratic politics tended to deflect Japanese naval strategy from the Mahanian trajectory it <= Japanese naval strategy> would have followed had the IJN <= if the IJN had> abided purely by Mahanian precepts.

I hope that helps to make the sentence clearer.

Thanks, I am now clear about the sense of the sentence.

< Previous | Next >