burglar, burgle, burglarize

< Previous | Next >


Senior Member
So, is "burgle" strictly BE, and AE speakers only use "burglarize"?

How about speakers of other major English varieties, like CanE and AusE? Do they use "burgle" or "burglarize"?
  • Roxxxannne

    Senior Member
    American English (New England and NYC)
    I think AmE uses both -- burgled might be less common but it's not unheard of.

    Uncle Jack

    Senior Member
    British English
    To add to this interesting thread, I wonder if anyone else will chuckle at the OED entry for burglarize:
    transitive. To rob burglariously; to break into by violence for the purpose of theft. Also intransitive.​
    What? Not chucklerised??
    May that be defined as to laugh chuckleriously?

    It should be noted that the OED entry is wrong. To burglarize a house is to commit a burglary therein -- but 1) "robbery" and "theft" are not synonyms, since robbing properly-so-called is a subset of theft requiring the use of force or fear, 2) "break in" is too vague, as the place that one would "break into" is a building, and more specifically a dwelling, rather than (say) a locked cabinet, and 3) the definition of "burglary" at common law involved breaking into a dwelling for the purpose of committing a felony therein, but not necessarily a theft.
    < Previous | Next >