buried her face

< Previous | Next >
  • AngelEyes

English - United States
    Hi gary,

I would say that bury here means to cover up.

So she covered her face with her hands to keep others from actually seeing her tears when she wept.

AngelEyes

. 1

Banned
    Australian Australia
    She buried her face in her hands and began to sob.

This is a scene of utter melancholy.

Buried brings associations with the grave.

She covered her face with her hands and began to sob.
    This is quite different and depicts a different body posture. This is dignified sadness with a remaining acknowledgement of others present. She remains upright with head erect and covers her face with her hands.

She buried her face in her hands and began to sob.
    This is a woman doubled over in the fetal position with her hands cupped like the grave as she lowers her face into her hands. This is the significance of buried.
    The face is lowered down and she adopts the ultimate position of surrender and regression.

There is nothing sadder than such a sight. I once saw my ten year old daughter do this and I have seen it a couple of times with my wife and I have been there a few times myself. The rest of the world ceases to exist and the person is consumed by sadness and buried with grief.

AngelEyes

English - United States
    .,, :

I think you just described this in beautiful detail.

Also, burying your face isn't just done to hide it from others. Sometimes it's also done to cocoon yourself inside your own little world of pain. If you can't see them, for a few minutes at least, you're all alone and protected from everyone around you.

AngelEyes

< Previous | Next >