buried in a boron-containing solid powder pack

< Previous | Next >

Amin-med

Hi guys,

I made the following sentence from my own about a scientific process. Is it in the best form? Can it be written in better form (especially its last part)?

"This process involves heating a well-cleaned metallic substrate at a high temperature ranging from 700 to 1100°C for 1 to 12 hours, buried in a boron-containing solid powder pack."

• Myridon

English - US
    What is buried? With the comma, it seems to be the process. Without the comma, it's 1 to 12 hours. I'm guessing it's the substrate that's actually buried.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    :) As Myridon says, you need to be very careful about what "buried in ... pack" qualifies.

I am not sure why you say "at high temperature" and "from 700 to 1100°C" (which is a high temperature...)

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    "This process involves burying a well-cleaned metallic substrate in a solid powder pack containing boron1 and heating it to between 700 and 1100°C for 1 to 12 hours.

The usual order of prepositional phrases in English is "Place, Manner Time."

1 You will have to sort out the technicalities of "a solid powder pack containing boron" and "a boron-containing solid powder pack."- the latter sounds awkward but may be the proper term.

< Previous | Next >