Buried in Dust

< Previous | Next >

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
Background: In 1992, a killer raped and murdered a female student on campus of a medical college at Nanjing, the capital city of Jiangsu province, China. For 28 years, the police has been in pursuit of the criminal. And finally on February 23, 2020, the police, armed by novel criminal investigation technology like Y-STR, caught the criminal, a driver, now 54, whose DNA was a perfect match of the DNA obtained from the victim's vagina.

Case of Century Cracked
after Buried in Dust for 28 Years

Source: English sentence making practice by me.

The question of this thread is whether "Buried in Dust" in the title is idiomatic in English.

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    So it is not idiomatic in English?

But it is odd that Google has About 170,000 results for "Buried in Dust." Here's one from prominent Nature:

Figure 1: Buried in dust. | Nature

I made it in the OP based on Chinese phrase.

Thank you.
    The phrase itself is fine but you have included it in your sentence in a grammatical structure that requires "being" before it. The examples you find (and the one you cite) do not require that - the example is a title, for ecample. So, it is not odd :)

Chez

English English
    You have used a newspaper headline style in your heading i.e. no articles, telegrammatic style (the minimum possible words to be understood), which is fine.

As a full sentence it would be something like:
    The case of the century has been cracked after being buried in dust for 28 Years.

I suppose by 'buried in dust' you mean the case has been 'sitting on a shelf/in an archive gathering dust' for 28 years?

I have to admit that my first thought was that some new evidence that cracked the case had been found 'buried in dust' (literally).
    So I didn't find it exactly obvious and immediately idiomatic to understand.

< Previous | Next >