buried the shovel or left the shovel buried

< Previous | Next >

lokasseyve

Mandarin
Hi,
1. She buried the shovel in the sand.
2. She left the shovel buried in the sand.

I made these sentences and wonder if they have the same meaning. It seems to me that there is difference, but I don't really know what it is.

Thank you so much.

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    1. She buried the shovel in the sand = she made a hole and put the shovel in it.
    2. She left the shovel buried in the sand = somebody made a hole and put the shovel in it; she walked away and left it there.

The first is an active construction where she had actually done something to the shovel, but it doesn't mention her leaving/departing the scene.

The second is a passive construction where something is being done to the shovel by her, and it does mention her leaving the scene and abandoning the shovel, so there is quite a difference in detail between the two.

(cross-posted with KB)

Myridon

English - US
    The second is a passive construction where something is being done to the shovel by her,
    We don't know that she did anything with the shovel. I think in the right context the sentence would be true even if she didn't know about the shovel.
    She did not dig it up (perhaps because she didn't know it was there) and she left.

< Previous | Next >