burnable asset

< Previous | Next >

chopin7

Albanian
Hello

It's the movie "A good day to die hard"
Bruce Willis goes to Russia to save his estranged son.
He think his son is on drugs, but in fact, his son is a CIA spy.
Anyway, his son tries to rescue a Russian political prisoner and Bruce got in the way messing things a bit.
His son, after Bruce tells him to simply deliver the Russian guy to the embassy and go home, tries to explain the situation to him by saying,
"He's a political prisoner. Not that you care, John, but it's a matter of national security,
all right? It's a huge diplomatic mess,
and I'm a burnable asset.
So, I now need that file (file in posses of the Russian guy) to un-fuck this mission."

My only problem here is "burnable asset".
At the script is explained as "disposable".
But even about that I am not so sure of.
Is he probably saying that he is someone that can be sacrificed?
Or maybe something else?

Thank you

• cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    My only problem here is "burnable asset".
    At the script is explained as "disposable".
    But even about that I am not so sure of.
    Is he probably saying that he is someone that can be sacrificed? :tick:
    In addition, I'd say that a "burnable" asset is easily sacrificed. Cf. "burner phone"—a cheap cell phone that can be thrown away after a few uses so that your position or communications can not be traced.

Myridon

English - US
    There's a TV show that's been running for 6 years (so far) called "Burn Notice." It's about a spy who has been falsely discredited.
    From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burn_notice_(document)
    A burn notice is an official statement issued by an intelligence agency to other agencies. It states that an asset or intelligence source is unreliable for one or more reasons. This is essentially a directive for the recipient to disregard or "burn" all information derived from that individual or group.

< Previous | Next >