Burning Bush

Cholo234

American English
In describing a video I made of some local bushes, I am challenged by whether to say: (1) "The Burning Bush are shown in the video"" or (2) "The Burning Bushes are shown in the video."

Can anyone shed some light not only on his preference for one option or the other but on why one chooses to use this option?

• Loob

English UK
    Intriguing question, Cholo!

I think when I'm using the name of a plant, tree etc, I normally pluralise it when I'm talking about more than one.

This article on the shrub "burning bush" (euonymus alata) uses "burning bush" as a singular only; when talking about more than one, it uses "burning bushes" or "burning bush shrubs":
    Burning bushes are deciduous shrubs.
    But all that changes in autumn, when burning bush shrubs put on a fall foliage show for the ages!

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    In my experience, bush is a countable noun in American English, so you should use the plural.

We might call a group of bushes brush, which is a non-count noun. In this case, you would say "The burning brush is shown in the video." Perhaps the similarity of the sound is the reason you wonder whether you should use the singular form "bush" to refer to a group of bushes.

Added: Cross-posted with Loob. :)

Cholo234

American English
    You make a good point. "Burning Bush" was a title -- hence, the capitalization I used. In retrospect, I think I should have used "Burning Bushes" as the title, since the video shows a row of bushes. Thanks.

< Previous | Next >