1. hirondelled'hiver

hirondelled'hiver Senior Member

context: SHE LOVED THE ROUGH TEXTURES (stones). HER SKIN, EVERYTHING ABOUT HER WAS BURNISHED AND ROUGH.
    Does this make sense to you, native english speaking friends?
    How can something be burnished and rough at the same time?
    Is there a subtlety hidden somewhere?

2. lisbeth.feldspar Senior Member

Canada
    American English
    Hmmm, bref, no, it doesn't make sense. :) Burnished and smooth, yes.

Can you give even more context? Is this from a spa or something like that?

cheers,
    lisbeth

UPDATE: Here is the definition of "burnished" from the OED:
    1. Made bright and shining as by friction, polished.
    2. transf. Having the appearance of polished metal; bright, shining, glossy.

So it's very hard to see how burnished and rough could ever go hand-in-hand....

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  3. hirondelled'hiver

Yes, I know, I don't have more context. It's a documentary about the conception of a garden and here, they compare a rough stone to the garderner skin!.... which I find kind of cheap, because you don't really learn anything by knowing that. :rolleyes:
    Or maybe she means for the gardener (Nicole), everything is like texture, either rough or burnished, like if she saw things and life with those 2 words only? Could that be some explanation? :confused:

4. lisbeth.feldspar Senior Member

Canada
    American English
    That would make more sense, although in that case I would think it should be "burnished OR rough." But I can see how this could work in a voice-over perhaps, with the voice tone making the meaning a bit more clear.

cheers
    lisbeth

5. Dr. Baha'i Senior Member

Athens, GA
    English - U.S.
    I suspect that this is one of those instances where the author didn't understand the meaning of his/her own term. Reminds me of something in a Western novel by an English author: "Far above, in a cloudless blue sky, a coyote hovered." :)

6. lisbeth.feldspar Senior Member

Canada
    American English
    Actually, yes -- this is probably the best explanation, that the author didn't quite know what "burnished" meant.

Love the quotation! :)

lisbeth

7. Dr. Baha'i Senior Member

Athens, GA
    English - U.S.
    Glad you like the quotation -- I had a good long laugh when I came across it!

8. hirondelled'hiver

Thank you both - for the fun too! ah, I love working like that! - and I think you're right. There is no real author behind all this (unless we all are when we open our mouth), this is just some interview... and the poor woman probably didn't know what she was saying. As this is a voice over, maybe putting a "or" instead of a "and" will do the trick! :D