burp/belch [+ pardon me/ excuse me]

< Previous | Next >

rafaelgan

Spanish
I wonder, which one is more used in USA?

I tried to see how many people in this forum have said the words, I didn't find a lot, I found like around 100.
That makes me think the in English, they don't really use those words a lot.Do they?

• Trisia

Romanian
    I think people don't use them too much because they're expressing something we don't really talk a lot about, not because they're not the right words.

You may find them in books about raising babies: after feeding them you have to pat them on the back to make them belch (like in that T&J cartoon :D )

The Scrivener

Banned
    England. English
    In the UK we don't generally talk about burping or belching. If someone happens to do it, and they are polite, they will do it as quietly as possible and say, "Pardon me."

If a child emits a loud burp it is usually told to "stop burping like that - and say 'Pardon me.'"

Small, milk-fed babies are praised, however. The louder the burp the better! In baby talk it is often called "windy pops".

"Belch" is rarely used.

TheAmzngTwinWndr

United States
    In the US, "belch" is a polite way of saying "burp" and for this reason "burp" is far more common. Even in formal settings "burp" would probably still be used over "belch" (if it is even talked about). "Belch" is more old fashioned.

To clarify, since you asked how to say it in the US: In the US, I think most people would say "Excuse me" after a burp, but "Pardon me" is perfectly fine. Also, "windy pops" is not a phrase in the US, we would just say the baby burped.

tomandjerryfan

English (Canada)
    I agree mostly with what's been said so far.

Since belching or burping is not something you usually talk about at the dinner table (;)), you don't often hear either of those words. We just say "excuse me."

You are more likely to hear belching/burping in a conversation about babies because a belch/burp from a baby is often congratulated. However, I've never heard baby belches referred to as "windy pops," so I think that term is only used in BrE.

Packard

USA, English
    I've always understood there was a difference of degree comparing belches with burps.

Burps are relatively quiet; your hand genteelly over your mouth.

Belches are robust and loud; a celebration of the gastronomic system.

AngelEyes

English - United States
    The more mature a person, the less we speak the word, "belch." "Burp" isn't offensive, but it's not a word said all the time, though I have no problem using it, especially in a humorous way. I used it just last night, as a matter of fact. :)

Among junior high school boys, however, - and maybe even younger now - "belching" well, loud, and long is almost considered a "rite of passage" through that stage of growing.

"Boys will be boys," you know. And these days, sometimes even the young girls, too.

And I agree totally with Packard on the distinction between the two.

AngelEyes

< Previous | Next >