burritos(') recipe

< Previous | Next >
  • perpend

Banned
    American English
    I would just use "burritos recipe".

Compare with "tacos recipe", "cookies recipe".

"burritos" and "tacos" are borrowed from Spanish.

"cookies" isn't the best example, but I'm trying to show that you wouldn't make "cookies" possessive, because the recipe does not belong to the cookies, nor the burritos, nor the tacos.

The correct way in each of the three cases would be: burrito recipe, taco recipe, cookie recipe.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    It is tricky. I should add that even though it may not be technically "correct", "burritos recipe" sounds fine and idiomatic. :)

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    None of the plural forms perpend cited sound either fine or idiomatic to me. I would only say "burrito recipe," "taco recipe," &c.

waltern

English - USA
    I would say burrito recipe, as in "I am looking for a good burrito recipe" ("cookie recipe", "pork chop recipe", etc.)

"I am looking for a good burritos recipe" sounds wrong to me - I would say "I am looking for a good recipe for burritos" ("recipe for cookies", "recipe for pork chops", etc.)

perpend

Banned
    American English
    What about "enchiladas recipe", guys/gals?

My feeling is that since it's borrowed, we use "tacos", "burritos", and "enchiladas" in the plural in front of recipe, because there are often many of them.

In other words, you're not just making one.

It's not like a "pie recipe" where you typically are making one.

Myridon

English - US
    Sorry, not in New Mexico or Texas. Taco recipe, enchilada recipe, burrito recipe, tamale recipe, chile relleno recipe ... As waltern says, it's just like "real" food - dumpling recipe makes many dumplings, biscuit recipe, cookie recipe, cupcake recipe, ...

waltern

English - USA
    Agree with Myridon - I'd never say "You must share your tacos (cookies, dumplings, steaks, etc.) recipe with me".

Last edited:

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I checked Ngram, and it agrees with all y'all. I just don't have any problem with "burritos recipe".

I guess the question (OP) was about the possessive, but it is clear that most people write "burrito recipe", except me. :)

Sorry for any confusion, 1516.

dadane

English-London
    I think perpend does have a point about the quantity you normally make. This is highlighted if you adjust the sentences:-

'I'd love to see your burrito recipe' - 'I'd love to see your recipe for burritos'. - Plural.
    'I'd love to see your taco recipe' - 'I'd love to see your recipe for tacos'. - Plural.
    'I'd love to see your chicken pie recipe' - 'I'd love to see your recipe for chicken pie'. - Singular.
    'I'd love to see your leg of lamb recipe' - 'I'd love to see your recipe for leg of lamb'. - Singular.
    'I'd love to see your spaghetti recipe' - 'I'd love to see your recipe for spaghetti'. - Singular (but non-count anyway).

If a plural is usually used in the second case then, correctly or incorrectly, a plural is often used in the first case too.

< Previous | Next >