burst an insufferable bond and plunge headlong into wild

< Previous | Next >

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Charlotte Brontë – Jane Eyre (Chap. 27) | Genius

Quotation: "Will you hear reason?” (he stooped and approached his lips to my ear); “because, if you won’t, I’ll try violence.” His voice was hoarse; his look that of a man who is just about to burst an insufferable bond and plunge headlong into wild license. I saw that in another moment, and with one impetus of frenzy more, I should be able to do nothing with him."

Context: Mr. R commanded Jane to leave England with him but she took courage to refuse.

Annotations from the source website: It appears Jane suspects Mr. Rochester will either beat her or rape her; the terms “license” and “frenzy,” generally associated with sexual misbehavior, point to the latter. So does the notion that the act would seal his “doom” as well as hers.
===
Hi everyone! I don't quite understand the bold part. I try to interpret it as below. Is it correct?

to burst => 1: to (cause to) break, or fly apart suddenly:
insufferable => 1 : not to be endured : INTOLERABLE <an insufferable bore> (M-W dictionary)
bond => 3 a : a band or cord used to tie something (M-W dictionary)
license => 6. Heedlessness for the precepts of proper behavior; licentiousness (TheFreeDictionary)
headlong => 2 : without deliberation : RECKLESSLY <rushes headlong into danger> (M-W dictionary)

the general idea of the first [his look (was) a man who is .... bond) => the image below
453611361.jpg

The general idea of the second part (...and plunge headlong into wild license) => the image below: an unlashed lion will do something horrible.
ca046c988e5ce67a50ad2ef0771b31d8.jpg

the general idea of the whole sentence => his look was that of a man (like the lion) who is just about to burst an insufferable bond and recklessly disregard of the precepts of proper behavior to do something bad.

Last edited:
  • Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    the general idea of the whole sentence => his look was that of a man (like the lion) who is just about to burst an insufferable bond and recklessly disregard of the precepts of proper behavior to and do something bad.
    Yes, you've got it. But instead of "do something bad", I'd say "do whatever he wanted, without inhibition".

< Previous | Next >