'burst out' creating art

Laurateacher

Spanish- Argentina
hi all,
Talking about Romanticism in Literature, I've thought that these lines might sum up the whole essay. Would you let me know if the use of English is correct?

People, artists especially, fed up with the conservative, religious and dogmatic model, burst out creating art which had to be measured with a different scale. It was a revolution in the arts, not just literature, to equate with the revolutions that closely affected them at those times.

Thanks,
Laura

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    Perhaps we need more context but honestly, you lost me after "...dogmatic model..."

"...burst out creating art" sounds very odd and "to equate with the revolutions that closely affected them at those times" means what?

The text is grammatically correct. As two standalone sentences, however, they are truly difficult to understand.

Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    I found the sentences understandable, but not straight-forward. The first one seems to have too many dependent phrases modifying " People... burst out". In the second "to equate with" strikes me as awkward, but that might be me.

ewie

English English
    I agree, Laura: burst out creating art sounds odd, and the meaning is unclear.

MODERATOR NOTE: Please address the subject of burst out only.

Laurateacher

Spanish- Argentina
    Romantic artists, fed up with the conservative, religious and dogmatic model (classicism), burst out / reacted to that classic model that no longer fit in society creating literary genres which had to be measured with a different scale.

Better now?

As "equate" was odd for some, let me explain it: to equate with the two revolutions: the American and French, meaning Romanticism was also a revolution but in the arts.

Laurateacher

Spanish- Argentina
    Thanks Ewie!
    So, I bet it is O.K now. I'll take your suggestion.
    Laura
    Romantic artists, fed up with the conservative, religious and dogmatic model (classicism), rebelled against the classic model that no longer fit in society creating literary genres which had to be measured with a different scale.

< Previous | Next >