buses reduced

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Pidginboy, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Pidginboy Senior Member

India-Local dialect
    I want to say that the the number of public buses comes down after 10.30 p.m.

I want to check if following sentences are correctly expressing that idea?

The buses are fewer from 10.30 p.m.
    The frequency of buses falls from 10.30. p.m.
    The buses thin after 10.30 p.m.

If the above sentences are not correct, please suggest one right collocation.

2. SwissPete

SwissPete Senior Member

94044 USA
    Français (CH), AE (California)
    My first choice: "There are fewer buses after 10:30 p.m."

3. Æsop Banned

Suburb of Washington, D.C.
    English--American (upstate NY)
    I think "after" would be better than "from" in all three sentences. Also, it makes a difference whether there are fewer buses because buses do not operate on some routes at all after 10:30 p.m., or the intervals between buses are greater after 10 p.m. on all routes.

The buses are fewer after 10.30 p.m. I don't think the article should be used. I would write, "Buses are less frequent after 10:30 p.m."

The frequency of buses falls after 10.30. p.m. This looks to me like an unnecessarily complicated way to say "Buses are less frequent ...," but I don't think it is unidiomatic.

The buses thin after 10.30 p.m. Means the same as "less frequent" but it's just not the way it would be said in AE.

All of these are most appropriate if all routes continue to be served after 10:30 p.m. but the intervals between buses is greater than before 10:30. If some routes are closed down at 10:30 p.m., it would be better to say so: "Fewer routes operate" or "Fewer routes are served after 10:30 p.m." Also possible, although somewhat bureaucratic: "The bus route network is less dense after 10:30 p.m."

4. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    You could say "Buses thin out after 10:30 p.m." conversationally without sounding odd. It is a good description I think, but it is not something I would expect to see on something printed by the bus company.